In general, dogs and owners must follow the Responsible Pet Ownership Rules set out by The City of Calgary Animal and Bylaw Services. Here’s a quick summary that applies to us when we use the park:
- Dogs must be licensed as of 3 months old
- Dogs must be under control (even in off-leash areas) and capable of responding to voice, sound or sight commands (fines range from $50 to $100).
- Owners and caregivers must have in their possession the suitable means to pick up their dogs faeces.
- Owners and caregivers must pick up (fines range from $150 to $250).
- The owner and caregiver must ensure a dog doesn’t bark, howl or make other noises that disturb people.
- Chasing pedestrians, cyclists or vehicles (fines range from $50 to $200).
- Causing damage or injury to another animal (fines range from $100 to $250).
- Causing injuries to people (fines range from $100 to $1500).
- Causing death to another animal (fines range from $500 to $1000).
- Dogs must be on leash in parking lots.